Thursday, June 19, 2008

More on Emotions

It's so easy to trust our emotions and we take what we feel as 'truth'.

I question God's closeness to me when I'm not 'feeling' it. I'm less prone to rush to worship, I lose track of prayer and time spent in His presence.

In relationships, emotions cause all sorts of suffering because we become complacent and boring then we wonder why it's not exciting and because we don't 'feel' that way, we assume it's lost, doomed, perhaps even over.

That's why knowing God is what matters. Knowing He's there and He is loyal and He is perfect, knowing our needs better than we can know. That knowledge puts my mind back in control and my emotions follow suit...and the worship that happens because that's what I 'do' as a child of God becomes my desire and longing.

I think it's the same for our relationships here. Love and commitment have to be a choice, a conscious decision, so when the fun and excitement dwindles away, you go through the motions and emotions begin to awaken.

It scares me(even more now as a mom) that our society is so set on what makes us happy now. Instant gratification...I think that's why we're all so lost sometimes, some more often than others. We're too short sighted to see what's real, put value in it and trust God at the center to make it last forever.

So, we're emotional creatures, God-made as such, but I can't let my emotions control me, to spin my wheels and run my life.

Isaiah 55:8-9
"My thoughts are completely different from yours," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."

Not only can I not trust my emotions...my knowledge is so far short of the One in ultimate control, all I want to do is give it all to Him, keep my eyes fixed on Him and know that He's going to take care of me.

No comments: