Thursday, June 19, 2008

As I Promised

Now that enough time has passed that I probably have forgotten enough information about what actually took place in Atlanta, I'll fill you in on what remains in my head.

Friday afternoon, Andrew and Ashley(old friends now living in west-ish Tennessee) came to load us and our pile of 'packed' stuff into their car and off we went! To my delight, my child had not gotten a nap that day, he, instead, played in his bed at his grandma's for two hours and refused to sleep. I was anxiously awaiting the inevitable nuclear meltdown at any point, but he amazed me and did qute well, watching movies and 'reading' his books, while flying an airplane or two.

Let me not forget to mention we apparently angered a truck driver on the way down...he got on our bumper, flashed his lights, mind you in the middle of construction when we had no where to go, and honked a few times...over about a 45 period of time. We got his info, I hope someone informs him he was mean!

Our hotel suite was a two bedroom/1 bath and common area that had a broken a/c. Yay!!! The window unit in our room had ice prodruding from all openings when we arrived, so the whole party of 5 piled in our room to watch the big boys chizzle and blow dry the a/c unit. We got a new room the next day. Nehem jumped around on the bed, lurched forward and banged his head on the headboard. There were tears. Thus completes night one.

Saturday morning we woke up and prepared ourselves for the Aquarium. Fun!!! Nehem loved all the fish, especailly the gargantuan whales in the big tank visible from a tunnel running through. I got a couple good shots of Nehem and Matt together staring up in wonder and amazement. I'll get them posted here eventually. Every time we'd stop and look at something, he'd look and giggle, then when it was time to walk to the next thing, he had to wave and proclaim, "BYE!!" I thought that was cute. They had several touch tanks and I almost got him to touch a giant shrimp. He'd start to stick his hand in the water, get his arm partly in, then decide the shrimp seemed a little too strange to touch, and he'd start splashing.

Next came the Coke Factory. It was pretty neat. If you ever go, you must try this one particular beverage that I can't remeber the name of at this time, maybe it was Beverley or something, but it was simply horrendous. I got a shirt made of recycled coke bottles...fun!

After dinner we went back to the hotel, settled into our new, cool rooms and went for a swim. Being the overly anxious packer I was for this trip, I managed to forget Nehem's swimmy diapers...so after a few minutes in the pool, he kept wondering what was going on with his nether regions and walked like he'd ridden a horse all day. It was hysterical. He had great Daddy-time, too, bouncing around the pool together, playing with a ball and blowing bubbles. End day two.

Sunday morning we were up early to get to Six Flags, only to realize the park didn't open for another hour after arrival. Good! After admittance to the park we quickly hopped on some of the big rides while Nehem was happily watching everything from the comfort of his stroller. Andrew, Emily(Ashley's sister who is at school in GA) and I rode Goliath. It's supposed to be the fastest, biggest roller coaster blah, blah, blah. All I can say is I screamed for two minutes straight through the whole thing and have never enjoyed a roller coaster more. After a few other big rides we braved the land of Kiddie rides and Nehem had an absolute blast. I can't wait till he's big enough to get on roller coasters...we will surely have some mother/son bonding!

That night, laying in his bed, Nehem kept saying, "home, home, home." I think he was ready. And after an uneventful ride home on Monday, we were all beat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loved this post. You are too funny when you tell the stories! Your boy is hilarious anyways